Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16SAVANNAH RIVERBOAT MAGAZINE 13 Photo: Alun Leppitt CSS Savannah. The CCS Savannah was built by H. F. Willink for the Confederacy at Savannah, Georgia, in 1863 and modeled after the Union boat, the USS Merrimack. On June 30, 1863 she was transferred to naval forces in the Savannah River under the command of Flag Officer William W. Hunter. Once the U.S. flag had been raised at Fort Jackson, the CSS Savannah moved in and started shooting their cannon at the fort.  This would turn out to be the On December 10th 1864 General William Tecumseh Sherman and about 65,000 Union troops descended upon the outskirts of Savannah as part of Sherman’s famous March to the Sea campaign. Savannah was woefully unprepared for an attack by land and so defenses on the western side of the city were begun. Most of the artillery men and 54 guns from the river batteries were moved to these new defens- es. General William Hardee, commander of Confederate forces in Savannah, realized these defenses would not be enough, and ordered the evacuation of the city and all of its artillery. On the night of December 20th, troops from all fortifications began to as- semble at Fort Jackson and downtown River Street to begin the hasty retreat toward South Carolina. These troops began spiking the cannons and destroying anything of military value they could not take with them. This included burning all of the wooden buildings at the fort and even booby trapping the powder magazine. All of the confederate navel vessels were either burned or sunk except the only shots fired at Fort Jackson during its long history. This bombardment did not last long however, because the Savannah was struck by a shot from a field gun originating all the way from Bay Street. The CSS Savannah then retired upstream to be blown up later that evening. It laid at the bottom of the river until last year, when it was raised as part of a large dredging project. The remains are currently being treated and archived at Texas A & M University.