Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16SAVANNAH RIVERBOAT MAGAZINE 12 preplanned by Oglethorpe to be a grid layout and incorporate 24 squares, 22 of which are still here today. The colony of Georgia grew from Savannah’s waterfront during the mid 1700’s. The riverfront has consistently provided commercial stability and leisure activities to Georgia. As a colonial port, exporter of cotton, or tourist destination, the riverfront of Savannah has been a beacon of joy to merchants and visitors. Cotton dominated Savannah’s exports throughout the nineteenth century. Construction began in the early 1800s for the multi-storied warehouses and “Factor’s Walk,” named for the cotton brokers whose offices were in the upper floors. In 1834, River Street was cobbled with ballast stones brought from England by cargo ships looking to balance their empty ships sailing to the colonies for raw Savannah Riverfront and Fort Jackson History S avannah is known as the Hostess City of the South and is the fourth busiest shipping port in the United States. Savannah has always been a port town and has now grown into an industrial city. The port has served the local plantation owners growing cotton, indigo and rice during colonial and antebellum times, to today’s modern merchant ships importing and exporting items from clay and scrap metals to Kia and Volvo vehicles. In 1733, General James Oglethorpe, along with his crew of 114, docked the The Good Ship Anne where he met Chief Tomochichi of theYamacraw Tribe, who once fell under the Creek Nation. The two became friendly and Oglethorpe was able to barter with Tomochichi for the land and provisions necessary to see his people through the remainder of the winter. Tomochichi showed the early settlers how to grow items that flourished in the area like tobacco, beans and corn. He also showed them how to harvest edible marine life such as shrimp, crabs, clams, oysters and fish. This land exchange began the founding of Savannah, which was goods. The revitalization of River Street began in 1977 and has since been a place for visitors of Savannah to stay, eat, shop and take in some nautical and commercial history of the city’s port. The Savannah River also played a role in the Civil War, as old Fort Jackson, the oldest standing brick fortification in Georgia, became a coveted means of protection by the Confederacy. The first brickwork went into the fort in 1808 but did not see much service during the war of 1812. We find that between 1840-1860 the fort was refortified by the US Government. In fact, a young officer by the name of Robert E Lee, a graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point oversaw much of the work that went into Fort Jackson. By 1861, the Civil War had begun and the governor in Savannah thought that the Confederacy should hold the fort. The Irish Jasper Greens and the Republican Blues and the 22nd heavy artillery were sent to seize the fort, which they did with- out much struggle. The confederacy held that fort until December 1864. Several days to follow, General William Sherman arrived in Savannah.